Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Food Additives & Eating More Naturally

Why in the world do we need some scientific research to tell us that by putting more chemicals in our bodies, that we are going to have negative side effects?? I understand why some farmers and food manufacturers will add these preservatives, food additives and pesticides to their products...money, money, money. The time is now, people, to go back to basics. Sure, a completely organic and whole food diet can be challenging. I am struggling myself. In this economy, when we are just barely making ends meet, we are charged MORE money for eating FEWER chemicals and preservatives!! As an example, a lb of organic baby cut carrot is nearly a whole dollar more than non-organic.

Just to let you know, I am very proud of my backyard garden. I have 23 tomato plants, 8 string less bean plants, 6 cucumber plants, 4 butternut squash plants, garlic, chives, basil, carrots, and corn (which usually doesn't yield anything but looks cool). It really takes up only a portion of my yard (15x15) and little attention. For my family of 2, this is way too many plants. Just think what you can do in your yard. One of my favorite things to do is to mix some of my vegetable plants in with my flowerbeds. Carrot tops are so pretty, and cucumbers have a beautiful leafy vine. Just put them in your planters! Hang some of the upside down tomato plants from your porch.

Other than feeling a little more connected to the earth, you will be shocked as to how a real vegetable is suppose to taste. Yes, they taste very different than the store bought ones. So, you think you know what a cucumber really tastes like? How about sun ripened tomatoes with fresh basil? They say, that after 1 hour of picking fruit and vegetables, the flavor begins to dissolve. So, what are you waiting for?

If you have not started your own home or backyard garden for this summer, I urge you to visit your local farmers' market. But don't be fooled!! Everyone is there to make money. Make sure you look at the fruit & veggies and make sure the box isn't marked "Imported from Mexico."

Read the following article about how these chemicals are affecting your kids.You need to be an advocate for your child. Contact your school lunch program and have them review the ingredients. Believe me, I see this every day in school!! Remember when the period after lunch was sluggish?? No anymore folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment