Saturday, January 7, 2012

Juicing Side Effects May Include:

It is the dawn of Day 7 of my New Year's Resolution. Before I begin, I ask you, how well are you doing on your resolution? Did you join the gym? Did you exercise yet? Have you been kinder to your neighbor? Did you scale back your family budget? Did you learn to say "no" to your child, boss, or spouse? I believe we all start the new year with good intentions and then fall quickly back into our former-less admirable- selves. Not this girl.


I have had 7 days of juice and clean food. When I try to explain to others what I am doing, I am always greeted with a furrow of the brow and and question; usually something like, "So, all you eat all day is that juice?" or "Don't you eat real food?" I love it. While in the lunchroom, someone might say, "That can't be healthy for you?" --as the questioner is munching on a sugary snack or a leftover casserole. I guess we all have our own interpretations as to what is or is not healthy. For me, this lifestyle works.


Today, instead of listing my juicing recipes, I thought I would tell you some of my "side effects" from juicing from the past few days.
  • Detox headache - around day 2 I had a very annoying, hangover like, headache. 
  • Bloat- all of the badness leaving my body
  • "The runs" - yes, literally from my couch to the bathroom- on day 2/3
  • Hunger - not consuming enough juice, smelling food. (add jealousy)
  • Clean palate - I can taste everything clearly. I didn't realize my palate was to dirty! That slimy, gross, sticky breath, "I need a mint" feeling is gone. 
  • Vision- my eyes seem to be focusing better and more quickly
  • Calmness - No more afternoon sugar crash or jittery feelings. Constant energy
  • Clarity - Brain fog is clearing.
  • Awareness - time, relationships, environment, and self. This is difficult to explain but the juice has made me understand that the health of my body does not just include the food I eat, but everything that goes into it: how I spend my time, having meaningful friendships, positive conversation, location is everything, and taking care of myself is a priority. 
The most important lesson learned so far is that I have let my life get in the way of taking care of myself. No matter what your resolution is, if you have not started your resolution yet, start today. Try your new life for 1 week and then let me know how it turned out. You just might find that you like the New You.

No comments:

Post a Comment